Saturday, May 29, 2010

Let's Play the College Game v2

So like I said last time she changed her mind again about college. But I can't blame her for changing it. Here's the reason why:

So on her sophomore year of High School a university scout goes to her school to talk with the seniors. There are only four seniors that year. Let me explain. Her school is what is known as a Church School, participating in the School of Tomorrow curriculum of the Accelerated Christian Education Program. The students have advance classes, so they graduate when they finish all credit requirements for graduation, to be able to get into college.

That year there were only four students graduating. So the school counselor took all the high school students to listen to the scout. He was from Liberty University, in Linchburg, Virginia. From that day on she fell in love with Liberty. First,because its a Christian base university. Second, because it had a female soccer team. Third, because of the campus. I fell in love with it because of the costs.

Liberty University (2008)
  • Enrolment costs $18,698.00 per year
  • Room and board included
  • Student aid up to $20,000
  • Acceptance requirements 2.85+ GPA 1,200+ SAT
  • Community service requirements N/A
  • Acceptance rate 80%

OK, so it's no UVA, but still is in Virginia a state we love. They give up to $4,500 from the university, without including Federal Student Aid. The best thing of all it's a Christian University. She will be in a Christian environment, which is perfect for her. they have a sports program that she liked, and they have a pre-med program. the admissions requirements can be met without problems, and they understand her high school program, and are familiar with it. So it's perfect, well besides the fact that she will be in another part of the world, I can live with it. See no hyperventilation or fainting. I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK.

So for a year we are part of the LV family, we are getting updates, invitations. She's practically accepted in tenth grade. We are happy, it will be difficult to pay the rest of the tuition, but I have research, she is a candidate for several other student aids and private grants. So I'm not so worried. We have friends and family close, so if she needs something they will be able to help. (I'm no longer allowed to move with her).

Everything is on track, she finishes her sophomore year in the top of her class with 3.95 GPA. She's working on her community service, not a requirement for any of the schools we have looked at, but it can do nothing but help. Specially for those additional student grants.

I get on the, and resources Internet, look for student aid site, and resources. Not only government, federal or state, but also private grants. I fount www.studentaid.ed.gov, a resource site that allows you to see what student aid the government has, and you qualify for, and apply to it there. Another good site is www.students.gov, there you find additional information about grants and aid available in your area.

Finally, probably the best is www.collegescholarship.org, because it divides the grants and aid available in different categories. It tells you how to find it,, how it works and hot to apply. As well as tips to get the most for your money.

Another good one is www.edu.fastweb.com and www.finaid.com, because they take your information and matches all the aid, grants and loans available to you. the requirements, submission dates, who is the organization giving it and why. it not only matches government, but also private funding. that can help supplement your state or federal grants.

Everything is set. She's working hard, focused and ready. Can't wait for graduation. Am I really that good, or is she trying to get away from me? Well, let's say it's a little of both. I'll admit it I'm a little over involved. But she is my only child, and my reason for being. (Exaggerate much, not).

All the research is done, now is just a matter of staying the course. Keep updating the information. Look for other resources, be prepared. I'm not even trying to convince her to stay. That's her grandmothers job.

Everyday I chant to myself, I'm ready, we are ready, we are ready. I sound like Sponge Bob. I start counting the days until graduation, at this time as am writing this there are just 730 days until graduation (May 2009). Ah, the brown bat is right here. Yes we are ready or so we thought. That was before the summer 2009. When a very special experience changed the course of our lives, and at the same time sent me back to my research. Just when I was finally adjusting to LU everything changes again. At least my faithful companion is the same, always here with me. Right Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment