Monday, December 14, 2009

Background Info.

Like I told you yesterday, today, 'am going to give you a little background information. So that you may get to know me better, and know when my neurosis started.

In 1993, well 1992 actually, I was a fifteen year old teenager that thought life was all about her, and that everything had to be as I wanted, when I wanted it. As are most teenagers. Little did I know that everything was about to change. During the Summer of 1992 I met a boy, he was cute (now I don't think he was that cute), but I wasn't interested. By Autumn - Winter of 1992, he had insisted so much that we started messing around, there were no attachments, no interest for the future, nothing really. Or so I thought, the "thing" fizzled out by the end of December and we never spoke again. Until (chan, chan, chan) the Spring of 1993. At that time I was scared out of my wits because I found out I was PREGNANT. I thought my world was over, and really (as I knew it) it was. By the end of March I knew for certain I was pregnant told him and since he wasn't interested in being part of the baby's life I decided I would do it on my own.

I left my party girl ways and focused on the baby. On August 9, 1993, the beginning of my new life was here. My baby (a girl) was born, and I focused on raising her as best I could. Many things have happened during those 16 1/2 years that have followed but that is another story.

This story begins on my daughters 15 birthday (in Puerto Rico a very big deal). She was a sophomore in High School and the dreaded future was coming nearer and nearer everyday. That is the second time in my life that I have felt completely scared. Not for myself, but for my daughter's future. At that time, she had only three more years of high school, and being at home, and that terrified me.

And so my college experience began (and so my neurosis worsened). Looking for colleges, acceptance requirements, student aid, and college costs. Let me tell you for the low income single mother, at least myself, it was and is overwhelming. And so my story begins, in the first semester of her sophomore year, and still continues to this day. I hope you join me in this adventure that is the road to college, and laugh at the funny stuff with us.

That is it for today. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment